Currently two communication layers are provided.
- Named Pipes
- TCP is provided within the base VoltRpc library.
- TCP uses the .NET provided <xref:System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener> and <xref:System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient>.
- It has the most compatibly between systems.
- It is however the slowest as shown from the benchmarks.
Named Pipes is provided from the VoltRpc.Communication.Pipes NuGet package.
You can use the command below to install the package.
To install it, you can add it to your project's
csproj like so:
<ItemGroup> <PackageReference Include="VoltRpc.Communication.Pipes" Version="3.0.0" /> </ItemGroup>
- Pipes uses the .NET provided <xref:System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeServerStream> and <xref:System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeClientStream>.
- It is currently the fastest communication layer as shown from the benchmarks.
- However, some implementations such as Unity's mono may just throw <xref:System.NotImplementedException> on certain platforms.